Four cases confirmed in county

March 23, 2020 Cranberry Local News


Advertisement | Advertise Here

Butler Health System confirmed that an additional three cases of the coronavirus were identified through its outdoor drive-up testing facility in Butler.

The first case of COVID-19 in the county was confirmed Saturday by BHS.

That patient, who had been sick, was directed by his physician to be tested at BHS's outdoor site earlier in the week. The patient, a Butler County resident, is recovering at home.

In a release issued Sunday, the regional health system reported that all three new patients are Butler County residents. Each has been instructed by their individual physicians to quarantine at home, as per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Pennsylvania Department of Health guidelines.

No other information about the patients was released by BHS.

John Love, medical director of infectious diseases for BHS, stressed in the release that hospitals and facilities throughout BHS are as prepared as possible and have taken appropriate infection control and prevention measures.

“Butler Health System has been prepared for COVID-19, and has implemented the proper protocols and infection control best practices,” Love said in a statement released by the regional health care system.

“Everybody needs to know the signs and symptoms. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus,” Love said. “Stay at home when you are sick. Call your doctor in advance of any visit. Limit your movement in the community, and limit visitors to your home.”

He added that one of the most important ways people can stem the spread of the virus is to wash hands often with soap and water, cover coughs and sneezes, and not to touch their face.

“People need to follow the guidance that is being provided by our experts and the experts at the state and federal level,” urged Ken DeFurio, president and CEO of BHS. “Everybody in the community needs to limit exposure and help to prevent transmission of the virus.”

DeFurio said the BHS specimen collection site has allowed health officials to identify patients quickly and avoid visits to doctors' offices and the emergency department. He said the health care system is working hard to keep patients, staff, and the community safe and healthy, adding how the health care system is working around the clock to improve turnaround time for test results.

As with Saturday's initially confirmed case, BHS again notified Pennsylvania Department of Health and Butler County officials of the newly confirmed cases, and is working collaboratively with the department in the ongoing care and monitoring of all patients.

The release further notes that BHS officials expect more confirmed cases in the coming days, and that the state health department knows of every confirmed case statewide and updates its website daily.

As of Sunday afternoon, there were 479 cases confirmed in the state.

BHS also directs community members to its own website — butlerhealthsystem.org — for links to information and guidance from the CDC and PA Department of Health.

Share this article: